All About Wii-Sports Club
Wii-Sports and Wii-Sports Resort have sold, between them, 115 million copies world wide. Many of these were to families who didn’t previously play many video-games. Today Nintendo announced an update to Wii-Sports for the Wii U.
Wii-Sports Club adds better controls and an online function to update the classic five sports on the Wii: Tennis, Bowling, Boxing, Baseball and Golf. The new game is also rendered in high definition now and lets players message each other to congratulate or commiserate their performance.
What better time then to take a look back at the Wii-Sports games in our “All About” series.
First of all it’s worth noting the differences between the different versions:
Wii-Sports offers Tennis, Bowling, Boxing, Baseball and Golf and can be played with up to four Wii Remote controllers. It was often packed in with the Wii console itself.
Wii-Sports Resort offers Swordplay, Wakeboarding, Frisbee, Archery, Basketball, Table Tennis, Golf, Bowling, Power Cruising, Canoeing, Cycling and Air Sports. It required the MotionPlus attachment on each Wii Remote controller to be played. One MotionPlus attachment was included with the game.
Wii-Sports Club offers Tennis, Bowling, Boxing, Baseball and Golf. But like Wii-Sports Resort it requires the MotionPlus attachment on each Wii Remote controller to be played. You can play Wii-Sports Club online against players not in the same room and it also offers updated visuals.
Although appearing quite simple to start with these games do actually offer many hours of game-play. Additionally many of them had hidden harder modes that could be unlocked as follows
- 11 point table tennis game – Press 2 at loading screen
- Advance Frisbee Golf – Hold 2 at loading screen
- Advance Golf – Hold 2 at loading screen
- Advanced Archery – Press 2 at loading screen
- Play basketball at night – hold 2 on the loading screen
- play swordplay during the evening – hold 2 on the loading screen
- Shoe/Slipper Paddle – Press 1 at loading screen
- Blue tennis court – Press and hold 2 at the warning screen that shows after selecting characters.
- Play golf without maps – press and hold (2), then make a selection at the “Select a Course” screen.
Equivalent games on other platforms are available.
Sports Champions offers a more mature take on sporting challenges on the PlayStation 3 using the Move controller. Kinect Sports on Xbox 360 and Sports Rivals on Xbox One offer a hands free motion controlled sporting experience. An alternative take on video-game sports is the Sports Friends pack (PC/Mac/PS3) that includes the physical electronic sports game Joust.
Wii-Sports Club will be available to download from the eShop on November 7th. Individual sports can be purchased for £7.99 and a 24 hour pass to all sports for £1.75.